sexta-feira, 17 de dezembro de 2010

...

There are many roads to travel in approaching the songs of Bob Dylan — stirring songs of social injustice, of bittersweet transition, veiled remorse and mystical celebration. But sifting through his body of work to compose this playlist, I couldn't help but gravitate toward his love songs. There is hardly anyone who can rival him in the depth and breadth of his investigation and expression of love.
No words can express how it felt to bring home Blonde on Blonde in the summer of 1966, set the needle down on Side Four and hear the opening lines of "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands." Solomon had his song, but none other has matched this exquisite and lengthy aria for the emotions he conveyed and the beauty of his language. What is sadder than "One Too Many Mornings," more troubling than "Ballad in Plain D" or more poignant than "Love Minus Zero"? And from a female point of view, what testament is more breathtaking than the words, "Love you more than madness" in "Wedding Song"?
In 1995, my band toured with Bob Dylan along the East Coast. He relayed, through his people, that if I chose one of his songs, we could sing it together. All night long I contemplated what I should choose, and how I might sing it. I chose "Dark Eyes," a relatively obscure song with a lyric worthy of William Blake. Each night he would call me to the stage, and we sang it side by side, so close that at times beads of sweat dripped from his lashes to my cheek.
I have tried many times, without success, to write a song to Bob Dylan, to express my gratitude for all he has given us through his work. But perhaps, having been faithful in my own way, from afar since I was 16 years old, is song enough. [Rolling Stone, Dec 10]


  1. "One Too Many Mornings" 1964
  2. "Boots of Spanish Leather" 1964
  3. "Ballad in Plain D" 1964
  4. "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" 1966
  5. "Love Minus Zero/No Limit" 1965
  6. "Spanish Is the Loving Tongue" 1973
  7. "Wedding Song" 1974
  8. "Dark Eyes" 1985
  9. "Like a Rolling Stone" 1965
  10. "Not Dark Yet" 1977
  11. "Isis" 1976
  12. "Dirge" 1974
  13. "She Belongs to Me" 1965
  14. "One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)" 1966
  15. "Visions of Johanna" 1966
  16. "Nettie Moore" 2006 

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário